Unlike younger children, teenagers are ready for additional independence and often try to push their limits. They are in a period of change and are beginning to search out their identities. Having parents set boundaries while remaining understanding and supportive is a valued part of a teenager’s life. This seminar will examine the changes that occur during this developmental period and provide participants with suggestions on how they can best support their adolescent child’s transition into young adulthood.
At the end of this seminar, participants will be able to do the following:
- Understand the emotional and physical development (i.e., behaviour shift) from tweens to teens.
- Discuss the needs of the teenager versus the family.
- Understand how parenting styles may impact teen behaviours.
- Develop strategies to maintain open lines of communication with the teenager.
- Incorporate strategies to handle difficult behaviours more successfully.