Real estate markets, like any other, fluctuate over time. Historically however they have increased in value over the long run. This increase in real estate value, favourable tax treatment of a principle residence and the ability to live in the ‘investment’ often makes it a corner stone of many people’s retirement plan.
To successfully use the equity in a home towards funding retirement, we need to consider all the options and select the one that best suits our personal situation.
- The role that home equity can play in a retirement plan
- The ‘financial’ retirement home
- How a home can act as a giant TFSA
- Defining a principle residence and why that is important
- Unlocking home equity for retirement funding
- Home equity in your estate plan