It’s often referred to as the hardest job you never applied for. Being an executor has long been considered an honour but today the job entails significant time commitment, knowledge, effort and personal risk. Canadian families need to understand the role before choosing their executor and before agreeing to act as executor for a friend, parent or another family member.
Preparation and communication can make the executor’s tasks far easier and remove many of the challenges that otherwise strain, or even divide families in periods of grief and turmoil.
At the end of this seminar, participants will be able to do the following:
- Know the general steps and timelines of an executor’s role
- Be aware of and executor’s personal liability
- Realize why this is such an important job
- Understand how the role of executor has changed significantly over the past 20 years
- Know which characteristics to consider when choosing your own executor
- Learn how you can assist your executor in doing their job
- Understand executor’s fees and the resources available to help them